Quarterly, on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, MCWA hosts a Volunteer Examiner (VE) testing session to obtain or upgrade you Amateur Radio license. The sessions are in the months of February, May, August, and November. The sessions will be open for walk-in’s between 19:00 and 20:00 CST.
Please contact Steve Maresso (KB9OLD) 847-477-3518 with questions and to confirm the session.
Free Methodist Church
934 N. Seminary
Woodstock, Il. 60098
- Cost is $15.00. (Cash, or check made payable to ARRL)
- What to bring to the exam session
- You must show a valid Government Issued Photo ID (Passport, Driver License or State ID Card) for identification.
- SSN is no longer accepted. FRN (Federal Registration Number) must be provided prior to applying for an Amateur Radio License.
Applying for a new Amateur Radio license?
Register in CORES (COmission REgistration System) and receive your FRN (Federal Registration Number) before sitting for your exam to ensure your new license is processed quickly and easily through the FCC’s ULS (Universal Licensing System).
To conduct business with the FCC, you must register through FCC CORES and be assigned an FRN. This number will be used to uniquely identify you in all transactions with the FCC.
View the FCC web page New Users guide to ULS for step by step instructions on the registration process or the Commission Registration System Video Tutorials page for videos that help guide CORES users through a variety of situations.
For assistance, submit a help request on the FCC’s Support Services page or call FCC at 877-480-3201 (Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-6 p.m. ET).
- If initial test element is passed, the person testing may continue to take the next test element(s) at no extra charge during the given session.
- Retesting of an element failed during the same test session will require payment of an additional $15.00 test fee.
- If upgrading, you must show your original, and provide copy, of Amateur Radio license and/or CSCE